By Eric Schopler, Ph.D., et al.
The third edition of the popular Psychoeducational Profile: Third Edition (PEP-3) allows you to assess the skills and behaviors of children with autism and communicative disabilities with a developmental age between 6 months and 7 years. The profile resulting from the PEP 3 graphically charts uneven and idiosyncratic development, emerging skills, and autistic behavioral characteristics. Individually administered in 45 to 90 minutes the PEP-3 meets the need for an assessment tool to assist in the educational programming for young children (ages 3 through 5) with disabilities and is particularly useful in planning for older students' Individualized Education Programs (IEPs).
The function domains for the PEP-3 were revised to reflect current research and clinical concerns, especially in the area of social and communication functions. The test yields 3 composite scores (Communication, Motor, and Maladaptive Behaviors) and features 10 Performance Subtests:
• Cognitive Verbal/Preverbal
• Expressive Language
• Receptive Language
• Fine Motor
• Gross Motor
• Visual-Motor Imitation
• Affective Expression
• Social Reciprocity
• Characteristic Motor Behaviors
• Characteristic Verbal Behaviors.
The PEP 3 now includes a Caregiver Report
that asks the parent or caregiver to estimate the child's developmental level compared with typical children. The report consists of three subtests: Problem Behaviors, Personal Self-Care, and Adaptive Behavior. This form has been shown to help orient teachers to a student's developmental inconsistencies and provides professionals with information needed for thorough and complete planning.
In addition, the PEP-3 is helpful in identifying special learning strengths and teachable skills. The Object Kit
now includes all toys and materials needed to administer the test except for food, drink, and a light switch.
Also, the latest edition features normative data both from a group of children in the autism spectrum as well as from a comparison group of children without autism. Normative data were collected from 2002 to 2003, with large national samples of children in the autism spectrum and of typical children ranging from 2 to 71/2 years of age.
The complete PEP-3 kit includes: Manual, Guide to Item Administration, Picture Book, 10 Examiner Scoring/Summary Booklets, 10 Response Booklets, 10 Caregiver Report Forms, and an Object Kit, all in a sturdy storage box.
• The PEP 3 Scoring Software and Reporting System, an essential time saving companion for the PEP 3: Psychoeducational Profile Kit. The scoring software handles all scoring, statistical analyses, graphing, charting, and report generation. You can use this software to create easy to understand professional reports that can be used during evaluation meetings. The narrative report explains the results and offers recommendations in terms that parents can understand.
• The Psychoeducational Profile Third Edition PEP 3 Combo Kit with Scoring Software, we bundled the Psychoeducational Profile Third Edition PEP-3 Kit with the new PEP 3 Scoring Software and Reporting System, and discounted the price.